Thursday, March 11, 2010

Thundering in early March

Ahhh I do like the sound of thunder when it isn't crashing like some angry bull in a china shop. It would be a great day to be home snuggled up under a blanket and watching a good movie on TV or reading a book. It is one of those gloomy gloomy days here in Minnesota.

I don't read alot of books as most of you know but I do listen to books on CD and since I started my, anywhere from 20 min to 1 hour and 20 minute commute, depending on the weather, I have listened to way over 100 of them. I don't enjoy much drama on TV anymore, I think it is because the drama in the books, are way better then what I see on TV. They just cant put on the screen what I see in my minds eye.

Lately I have been listening to books (mostly fiction) that take place around Minneapolis and St. Paul. They draw me in even faster then the other ones. One of the authors is Monica Ferris. I like her simple little mysteries. But my all time favorite author is David Baldacci. His books have me an the edge of my seat sometimes. Which is strange, as I do NOT enjoy those kinds of movies that are scary and suspenseful. I guess it is because as I said, my minds eye puts it where I can handle it.

I also enjoy books about the early early days in MN and ND. The late 1800's and early 1900's.

Well I was just going to make a short entry about the thunder (and I am sure lightening but cant see that because of the fog) and it went into books.

My daughter posted a little thing on her blog last night about a little conversation with her son and my grandson, my heart is still smiling over that. Gosh grandkids are THE BEST!!!

Well that's it for now..

Back to work I go
Sandi

5 Comments:

At 5:10 PM , Blogger Pat said...

Although thunder storms used to terrify me as a kid, I grew up loving them. I love to stand outside and watch the wind whipping things and the lightening crackling.

I think maybe I was also watching for tornadoes sometimes. We used to live in a trailer park that happened to be in the path of many that touched down near us. I was lucky that we never were hit.

Your thoughts of your grandson reminded me of a little boy that lived 3 trailers up and his mom was terrified of any storms. One day there were sightings of nearby touchdowns and I visited to calm his mother and this little boy met me by the door screaming......

"A tomato is coming, a tomato is coming" and all I could do is hug him close so he could not see me snickering over his comment but I knew he was frightened and I hugged him all the more. That scene will never leave me and it comes to mind a lot when there is a storm.

 
At 5:19 PM , Blogger Pat said...

Boo hoo...since you changed your blog, you have no links so I can go see why your heart is smiling.

 
At 8:59 PM , Blogger Sandi said...

I will send you the link

 
At 3:47 AM , Blogger sandwhichisthere said...

There was a book I read long ago. I think that it was titled "Giants in the Earth" by O.E. Rolvag. My memory is not what it used to be, so I may have it wrong. The book was fiction, about Scandinavians migrating to the Great Plains. It is not a book to read in a blizzard. It has some sadness and darkness and stinker people but in the end it celebrates their remarkable endurance. It is perfect for a Scandinavian tale.
As my Grandmother used to say "Bad things wouldn't happen if we only worked harder". I hope that you have time to find it and read it.

 
At 6:46 PM , Blogger Sandi said...

Thank you Sandwichisthere. I have reserved it at the litrary and I am going to read it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home