Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Some Ramblings

Well it has been a few days since I last blogged. Since then Jim and I made the pilgramage to North Dakota last weekend to have Christmas with my siblings. It has been 25 - 30 years since I have spent Christmas in North Dakota. It certainly wasnt a typlical North Dakota Christmas celebration in the first part of December. It was sunny bright the whole time we were there (which isnt unusual), BUT,, it was also in the 50's during the day. We could not have asked for more beautiful weather. The saying "You can never go home" has some merit to it. Besides the weather, being all growed up and no children around it was a different kind of celebration. We arrived in ND around 3:30 on Friday. My sister was still at work but got home about 1/2 hour later. She made a wonderful pork roast dinner and had my niece (who is only one year younger then me) and her husband over for dinner also. Sat morning we were invited to my brother's home for breakfast at 8:30. Another wonderful meal. At 10:30 the church my sister attends was having thier monthly birthday coffee and since Sat was my sisters birthday, I went with her there for a few minutes. It was nice to see some of the people I grew up with from the church. Then it was home to have a peaceful afternoon at Judy's. We met at my sister Phyllis' home for dinner at 5. She prepared the whole meal and it was fantastic. At 6:15 all the women (except for me) paid $5 and went on a tour of 5 newer homes in Kulm, that were done up for Christmas. I stayed and kept the men company. When they got back around 7:45 we opened gifts. We had drawn names and that is who we gave a gift to. My niece had my name and made me the most wonderfully beautiful and soft blanket. After that it was dessert time and my niece and her daughter stopped by so Jim and I had a chance to visit with them for a bit. About 9:45 it was time to head for home, but we decided to drive around town and check out the Christmas decorations. How I love, love, love small towns and how they celebrate Christmas. There was a nativity scene right on the Main Street corner and so many houses having nativity scenese out. The main streets of the town were decked out with wreathes, greenery, candles and all the traditional Christmas decorations. It really felt like I had entered the world of Christmas. We got back to my sisters around 10:15 and then it was bed time.

Jim and I both being "rotund" found it a little cramped on Friday night sleeping in a full bed. So Jim had gone to bed before Judy and I were done visiting on Sat night so when I got in there, I looked at the bed and came to the realization that if I slept in the opposit dicrection that Jim was laying, we would fit in that bed much better. Sooooo, that is what I did, and we both had a good nights sleep.

Sunday morning we got on the road about 10 and were home around 3:30. It was a good weekend and even Jim enjoyed himself.

I loved driving through the little towns in ND. Christmas was everywhere. The red and green, the trees and nativity scenes and candles. I am so very disappointed in the 2 towns that are next to Champlin who used to have the most beautiful Christmas decorations have gone to in Osseo some blue tinsil and illuminated snow flakes of which most dont illuminate and they used to have the neatest Christmas trees and wreaths. Anoka who had small lit Christmas Trees and wreaths on thier street light posts have gone to blue banenrs with snow flakes. I just have to say enough is enough!!! I want Christmas back!! The other religions can put up thier decorations if they want to but as long as we are a "christian nation", let us celebrate our holy days.

OK,, thats it for tonight

Blessings to all
Sandi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home