Sunday, January 21, 2007

January 21, 1942

This is the date that Gilbert Moteberg, Jr was born. He and his identical twin brother Lyle was born to Lily and Gilbert O Moteberg in Fertile, MN. Shortly after thier birth, they went home to live on a farm near Gary, MN with thier parents and thier 3 older sisters. After thier birth 2 more brothers and 2 more sisters would be born to the family.

Gil grew up on that farm and graduated from Gary High School. Shortly after graduation, he was drafted into the US Army where he served for 2 years. While he was stationed in Germany, an old "girlfriend" of his gave him my name and address. You see, his old girlfreind had been my roommate in Minneapolis. So, one day I received a letter from a Cpl Gilbert Moteberg. I had no idea who this person was. By this time, my roommate had married and moved to WI. I read the letter, it was a pleasant letter and so I wrote back, thus started the relationship of Gil and Sandi. He had me call him once. It was 6 PM here and like 1 AM in there. We talked for about an hour, and let me tell you, phone rates have come down. That call cost way over $100. But it was worth it. On February 8th, 1966, I was not feeling very well, I had a cold and was all "Vickced" up when the phone rang and this deep voice said "Hi, Sandi, I have just been on a long boat ride. Can I come over?" I said yes and headed to the bathroom to get the Vicks off my body, my hair into some kind of order and some makeup on. 30 min later there was a knock on the door and there stood this handsome young man who took me in his arms and gave me a kiss. MMMMMMMMMM I was hooked!!! There had never been a man and never a man since, that could hug like Gil. On June 18th, 1966, Gil and I were married. He gave me 2 beautiful and wonderful kids. I am so proud of them, they are such strong christian adults now that are serving the Lord. And those 2 kids gave me 6 beautiful and talented grandchildren.

On March 2, 2002, Gil left us. The Lord called him home. His leaving left a HUGE hole in our lives. However, Heaven is all the richer for our loss.

Today would have been Gil's 65th birthday and I would have been planning his retirement party.

Happy Birthday Gil. Know that I still love you and I miss you, but I will see you again!!!

Sandi

1 Comments:

At 3:29 PM , Blogger Tonja said...

Momma, thank you for posting this. I don't know why I never saw it before today, but I am so glad that this account of some of my daddy's life is permanently recorded. I love you.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home