Friday, November 20, 2009

Our church

Jim and I have been attending our church for about 4 years. It is a small church and we have been blessed here. But about 2 - 3 months ago, things started to, what seems in my eyes, fall apart. The church administrations person quit to become a hospital Chaplin. That part seemed well and OK as she had received her divinity degree and she could not in our denomination become a pastor. It wasn't long after that, while we were on vacation in fact, we learned that our pastor had suddenly without notice to anyone in the church taken a month medical sabbatical. We don't know much more then he called the district council and told him he was at his wits end and this is what they suggested. That was back in Sept. The last we heard he now was not going to be back until maybe Dec. We are still paying his salary, and I have no qualms about that, unless of course he is not going to come back and that would make me sad.

It was within a week after pastor left that the music director left. Then one of the elders, who in my eyes this was what should happen, resigned. Then 2 Sundays ago the youth pastor resigned, which in my eyes was right too as he was drawing a salary and really not doing anything that he was hired to do. With all this going on you can imagine that the church is struggling financially and loosing some of its membership. I was talking to a friend that knew more of the history of that church then I do and it seems to have this history. It grows, and then boom, something happens and the church falls apart. It gets to a small core again, and they start over and it grows and them boom, there is something that almost fully destroys it. This is the 4th time I guess it is going through this. I wonder if there is some kind of curse over this congregation.

I am wondering because the building itself is so small and we have no place to really have an all church pot luck or place where we can just all gather together to get to know one another that when something happens (like a disagreement between an leader and a flock member) they just leave because they have no real ties to the church other then that person they had the run in with. I don't know,, but I think it could be a reason. If we know only a small number of people in the church what is to want us to keep on returning to that church when there are other churches that we can go to to get fed the word of God. Well it is my thoughts anyway

Sandi

4 Comments:

At 11:55 AM , Blogger Pat Latta said...

Sandi, I think it would be wrong for you and Jim to give up on this church. Things happen in every church, but there are those who stick with it and support their church. To many people leave when a crisis hits, and that is not the answer. You have been blessed there in so many ways by God. I think now people are being tested to see if they will stay and support the church, or leave it by the way side. The church needs all the good people to hold it together. Anyway, that is my opinion. For what's it's worth.

 
At 7:07 AM , Blogger Pat said...

People are what make the church a success or not. If you enjoy the people surrounding you, then you can build the other things like a bigger meeting place or services. I do think all churches go thru these rise and fall periods. Some just are bigger to start with and have a bigger congregation that dont show the struggles so much.

Only you can evaluate what is important to you and and what kind of extra services any church can provide that are what you need or want. If the feelings of God's love is there and you can fill that need in yourself ..stick with that church. If you can't keep your soul fulfilled...move on.

Personally I think I would think a small comfortable group worshipping in like ways is preferable to a squabbling busy place.

It is up to you to evaluate what is important and how you want to worship.

A good friend Olga had a breakup in her church and decided to go with the Pastor as so many others did. they lost the church building in the process and met at the local YMCA. They could not do all they wanted but they were much happier cuz they were of like mind in how they wanted to worship god.They are in the process of rebuilding..slow but sure they will again find a church bldg of their own.

 
At 12:27 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

It sounds to me like the church is under attack from the enemy. Not knowing you personally, I can't really assume to know what you should do, but whatever you do I would proceed with prayer.
Not having a large building does not have to stop fellowship, perhaps someone could start some home fellowships, my church used to have a thing called "suppers for six", the idea was that 3 couples (along with any children) would get together once a month for dinner. Singles were also welcome, we would just sign up 2 singles instead of a couple. The same 6 adults would meet for 6 months, and then the groups would get mixed up.
Just a thought.

 
At 2:35 PM , Blogger Sandi said...

ThriceBlessed, that is a very good idea, and I think something like that has been tried, but it was a one time only thing. I will check to see if it can be for a longer period of times, as ture freindships cant be made at one meal. The sad thing, since I posted this, our pastor has resigned, and that makes me VERY sad.
Thanks for your thoughts and I agree about the church being under attack.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home