Thursday, August 02, 2007

Tragedy In Minnesota

What I am about to blog about is probably news to no one. But, yesterday a major highway bridge over the Mississippi in Minneapolis collapsed, plunging at the best estimate 50 cars into the river. There are about 30 people still reported missing that might have been traveling on that bridge. But what is remarkable is all the people that lived through the collapse. My daughter-in-law and children had been on that bridge earlier that day. I am so thankful to God that it did not collapse when they were on it. But just saying that makes me feel so selfish. I do pray for all those, and their families, that were on it when it collapsed. But I am sure everyone of those family members that lost someone during the collapse are saying,, "Why my son, daughter, sister, brother, mother, father, cousin, friend?" Why couldn't it have waited another 30 seconds. This side of heaven we will never know, of that I am sure. I am sure there are countless stories of how people were delayed for a minute somewhere and therefore were spared. I am sure there are stories also of people who, for who knows why, decided to take a different route last night and were spared. That said, it makes me think about how we react when tragedy and calamity strikes us. In this case there were many that were affected at once and the national news lets the whole county know of their pain and agony. But each day there are many individuals that are faced with personal tragedies and, and there is no one there to broadcast how much they hurt or how afraid they are. News is news, and widespread pain and calamity are new worthy and reportable. But today I am thinking about the couple that want a baby so bad, and she aborts. Or the young mother that is told she has inoperable cancer. Or the father of young children killed in a one car accident. Or the lonely old person that has no one has been told they have a painful disease for which there is no cure and they have to go it alone. Today all over the country this is happening. I don't begrudge the sympathy that those victims of the bridge collapse are receiving, but in my heart today I am hurting for all those single tragedies that are happening, and I am praying for them too.

Blessings
Sandi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home