Thursday, July 12, 2007

Midsummer

Wow,,, that is all I can say about the last few days of our weather. Oh sure it is still dry and it is windy but the temps have been in the 70's and I am loving it. I wish I could say that the nice weather has given me loads of energy and inspiration, but alas, it has not. I find myself wanting to sit and do nothing. That really is unlike me. I am thinking more and more about retiring early if I can possibly swing it.

As I get older and my friends begin to pass away or have medical problems, I wonder what fate the future has for me. Will I be fit and able when I am 65 to enjoy the things I want to do. Will Jim be healthy and able. Should I put off for 2 or 3 more years just for the sake of the money? It is not an easy question to answer. I have some money in my IRA's, I can live on that for a while, but then what if I live for a very long time and I run out of money??? You know it is a dilemma!!!

But on days like today, Jim home, a couple of my grand kids coming to spend the rest of the week and weekend with us, I just want to be home and enjoying those things. Sooooooo that's the way it is today July 12th, 2007!!

Blessings
Sandi

2 Comments:

At 6:12 PM , Blogger Pat said...

I agree it is a dilemma. But my view is that you should spend the time and money doing things now while you can. Not knowing what tomorrow brings is scary but then...a downturn in health is too and then you will have time and money but can't do a thing. Better to have memories then regrets.
A good friend of mine just sold some vacation property. Now this friend lost her hubby a few years ago and each time I talk to her she says how she hates her furniture that her past husband picked out. he was a control freak. She was not left poor and could easily bought new furniture. But did not. now a few years later she could do it again but did she..NOPE. I asked what she did and she said she invested it. She already has trust funds put aside for kids and grandkids so I told her it was silly to put up with furniture she hated. To make this shorter...she will be 81 in two weeks and not in great health.

Moral of this long story...enjoy things while you can. When older you wont have the umpphh to do it.
Wise trip planning can make what you do have go further as likewise a good financial planner.

You have a travel mate...go for it!!

Just my opinion for what it's worth..lol

 
At 10:41 AM , Blogger Sandi said...

Why is it so much easier to say (put in print) then actually act out. I TOTALLY agree with you and yet when it comes down to where the rubber meets the road, well it is harder to apply. All those "what if's" start to set in. When I am 63 I am forsure going to ask my bosses if I can go to 4 day weeks. If they say no, then I think my decision to retire at that time might be a much firmer. Gil and I had planned that I would retire when he reached 65 and retired, but somehow, I wonder if that would have really happened. I guess I will never know. One thing I am going to talk to my boss about is more time off or more vacation.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Hugs
Sandi

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home