Friday, June 17, 2011

Fathers Day

On the way to work this morning, they were talking about memories of your father.  It made me think of my Dad.  My Dad passed away in October of 1972.  A better man I don't think could be found.  He was such a wonderfully kind person and a hard worker.  I loved my Dad so very very much.  When he passed away, I was REALLY mad at God for a very long time.  I was only 26 years old.  I needed my Dad longer then that.  My Dad came from Sweden when he was 25.  He had contracted polio and it left him with a slight bent back that got worse as he aged.  I never noticed it.  Friends would ask me what was wrong with my Dad and I would say "What do you mean?".  After all these years, I still miss him and look forward to the day when I will see him in Heaven.

But a couple of memories that came back to me of my Dad was when I joined 4-H.  We were required to bake bread.  The first time I made it, it turned out sooo bad that not even our dog would take a bit of it, and Sparky ate everything.  But my Daddy, took a slice of that bread and said it was VERY good.  The rest of the family made fun of it, but Daddy assured me that they didn't know what they were talking about (really I knew that they knew what they were talking about and Daddy was just being very kind).

Another time that came back to me was when I was pregnant with my son.  He was about a month over due (don't think that would happen in this day and age) and I didn't know how worried my Dad was about me.  But when I called to tell them that they had another grandson, Daddy cried.  He was so relieved that I was OK and that the baby was OK.  That really touched my heart. 

I was so blessed to have the Dad I had.  Thank you God.

2 Comments:

At 11:37 AM , Blogger EllE said...

He sounds really nice :)

 
At 10:31 AM , Blogger Tonja said...

Both you and I have been blessed immeasurably with the gift of a wonderful earthly father. Sometimes, for a moment, I let myself imagine heaven. I can see us having a great big family picnic. It is going to be awesome. That much, I know.

I love you.

Tonja

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home