Tuesday, March 08, 2011

What does one do?

What does one do when life becomes so many things that you never thought it would?  Some for the better but most seem to be not what you expected.  But then of course if you expected it then you wouldn't have a second thought about it.

When you start out on your own at a young age you "plan" your life.  I am sure there must have been people along the way that told me that most of the time, that plan would not be the path that you have to walk in your life.  But I sure didnt take much stock in it if they did.   I thought that I was always doing the things that would make my life play out as I had planned. 

Enter children with minds of their own and influenced by the life they grew up with.  Oh I have sooo much to be thankful for that my kids grew up without getting in any trouble.  I am not so dense as to believe that they didn't  try drugs (hopefully nothing that changed them for life) and had their taste of liquor.  But they were good kids.  They are still wonderful adult kids.  Its just that when they were little and  I was holding them and rocking them, I imagined what their life would be like.  Maybe it was pie in the sky thinking, but are we not suppose to hope, wish, dream and most of all pray that their lives would be good with a minimum of problems? 

I struggle watching my kids struggling with life and now grand kids that are of age.  I would like to believe (stupidly) that I have all the answers, if only they would ask.  Well sometimes I interject my opinions even when they are not wanted.  But the fact is I do NOT have the answers and sometimes that drives me nuts.  Oh to be able to pick them up, hold them tight, give them a kiss and make everything OK for them. 

Sandi,,, you canNOT recapture yesterday,, you do not have a promise of tomorrow,, so treasure today.

3 Comments:

At 1:40 PM , Blogger "The Aimonites" said...

Your words are comforting and wise. Although we may not always have the answers just having the comfort and support from family and close friends will always pull us through.I believe your family is blessed to have you.

 
At 6:44 AM , Blogger Pat said...

It is a very hard fact that sometimes no matter what you do or say...a child will go their own way in spite of imparted wisdom.

No one told us this hard fact of aging..that we have to stand by while those we have loved and raised make the same mistakes we have and we are powerless to get across facts that we know. They seem so hell bent to grow up and do not like our advice that being an adult is hard and that they should enjoy the journey and treasure every day. And that they need more than every to prepare for the future in ways we wish we would have.
All we can do is love them and be there when they get boo boos.

 
At 1:10 PM , Anonymous Charlie Courtois said...

Well, Sandi, we have six grandchildren, and the eldest lives with us since Nov,2009.

Long story but at 75 I am just about out of patience. Thank the Lord he got a job finally after all of that time.

We are certainly not in control, but things are looking up, "I hope!"

Take care,
Charlie C.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home