Friday, July 14, 2006

Knee Replacement Done!!

Here it is 3 1/2 weeks after my knee replacement. Was it worth it? The jury is still out on that. But I am told that I have to wait 6 weeks to find the pain gone and 6 months for complete rehabilitation to be done.

The days in the hospital after the transplant were horrible. Besides not being able to move my right leg even a half an inch I was sick sick sick. I could not eat for the entire time I was in the hospital and threw up for the first 2 days and was nausiated the next day and went home on the 4th day. After I got home, things started to look up. Hubby brought me home Friday around noon. By 8 that night I think he was ready to take me back to the hospital. I was so totally dependent on him. That is tough for a guy that had lived alone for 17 years before we got married just a little over 2 years ago. I believe he was VERY happy when my daughter arrived at 11 that night. Even tho she brought all the wonderful grandkids with her. (Sometimes a trying thing for him). They stayed for 10 days and by the time they went home I was able to get in and out of bed by myself so it wasnt soooo much work for him. He has been a champ tho. From making dinner for me, to helping me with my shower, to helping with me with my rehab excersises twice a day. I am so glad that he is semi retired and can be home most of the time with me.

This past week I went to work for a few hours on Tue, Wed and Thur. I worked 3 1/2 hours on Tue and Thur and just 1 1/2 hour on Wed. I was TOTALLY beat after Tue and really struggled most of Wed. But I did good after Thur. I did not go to work today, but did work from home. I have been working from home since 10 days after the replacement.

The thing that I am finding so hard with the replacement is this "band" that feels like is going up and down the front of my leg and bending my knee makes it feel like I am stretching it so hard it is going to pop. But I hear this is normal too.

My left knee which also has degenerative arthritis in it has been doing SOOOO much of the work has been hurting quite a bit lately. As I write this today, I say "I wont do this again". I can only hope that in 6 months from now, I will be able to say, "Yea, if my left knee needs it I will do it". But it is no cake walk.

We belong to a small group from our church. They have blessed us so tremendously by bringin us meals every other night for the last 2 weeks. They wanted to do it for another week, but it is time that I get back in the kitchen and help Jim cook and we will do great. I am actually getting stir crazy from being home so much. Today I decided that I needed to do some cleaning and actually picked up the stuff that has been laying around the house. And doing a bit of cleaning.

I wanted to go out to a store tonight just to get out, but Jim had to do some softball stuff. Tomorrow he is involved with a softball tournament all day. It is to be over 100 degrees here tomorrow. Hope he and all the girls and coaches do OK in that heat.

Through this knee replacement I am so thankful to God for being with me and for giving us such a wonderful circle of friends and family that have been holding us up in prayer. My prayer is that God will pour out on the blessing upon blessing.

Until next time

Hugs
Sandi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home